Biz Markie is a rapper, beatboxer, DJ,comedian, singer, reality television personality, and commercial spokesperson. He is best known for his single “Just a Friend“, an American Top 10 hit in 1989. In 2008, “Just a Friend” made #100 on VH1‘s list of the 100 greatest hip hop songs of all time (taken Verbatim from Wikipedia).
You, you got what I need, but you say he’s just a friend.
And you say he’s just a friend, oh baby!
Grammar: Using ‘Ever’
Have you ever met a girl that you tried to date
But a year to make love she wanted you to wait?
Let me tell you a story of my situation.
I was talking to this girl from the U.S. nation
We normally use ever with the present perfect (has/have + past participle) or past perfect (had + perfect). It means any time up to now or any time up to then. We normally use ever in questions:
Have/Has/Had + subject + ever + past participle?
- Have you ever been to a hip-hop concert?
- Has he ever been to Europe?
- Had you ever thought of going to college before you met your wife?
It is possible to use ‘ever’ in negative sentences, but most people say never.
- I don’t ever want to go there again!
- I never want to go there again! more common
- date (noun/verb) – a meeting with your boyfriend/girlfriend, or with a potential boyfriend/girlfriend. I asked a girl out on a date, but she turned me down.
- take somebody’s word for it – to trust or believe somebody. I think you should go to school because you can get a great job. But don’t take my word for it! Do the research yourself.
- build up (sep. phrasal verb) – to create or develop something. Couples need communication if they want to build up their relationship.
- dandy (adjective) – old-fashioned way of saying very good. I feel fine and dandy!
- on somebody’s dime (idiom) – If something is on your dime, it means you pay for it. Order anything from the menu. Dinner is on the boss’s dime tonight!
- on your/the/its way – going or coming. The pizza guy is on his way. We will have dinner in a few minutes.
- Oh, snap! (idiom) – a phrase to express your suprise or excitement. Oh, snap! They have free bagels in the office.
Have you ever had a situation like Biz Markie? Have you ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend who cheated on you? What would you do if you saw your ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend on the street right now. Please write your ideas in the comments below!