“Big Poppa” is the Grammy nominated and Billboard Award–winning second single from The Notorious B.I.G.‘s Ready to Die. The song was his first Top 10 pop hit, and peaked at #1 on Billboard’s rap chart. It features a sample of the song “Between the Sheets” written by The Isley Brothers. “Big Poppa” was one of many songs of the era to continue to break down cultural boundaries in music,finding many fans among the youth market. It became a staple at parties and one of the most popular and identifiable songs of the era. It was nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance and Best Rap Song of the Year at the 1996 Grammy Awards. It also went on to win at the Billboard Awards (taken verbatim from Wikipedia).
I love it when you call me big poppa
- mack on somebody (in. phrasal verb) – to hit on, flirt or seduce somebody. My friend is too shy to mack on girls, so he’ll probably be single for a long time!
- crew (noun) – your closest group of friends; your gang of friends. When my crew shows up to the club, the party gets started!
- honey (noun) – a slang word for young, attractive women. Look at that fine-ass honey at the back of the club! I’ve got to get me a piece of that.
- C notes (noun) – a slang word for a $100 bill. Have you ever seen a thick stack of C notes before?
- also, Benjamins
- player (noun) – a womanizer; a man who has sexual relationships with many different women. Don’t hate the player, baby. Hate the game.
- telly (noun) – a slang word for a hotel. After we leave the party, let’s check in at the telly and order room service.
- crib (noun) – a slang word for a home. I don’t feel like going to the club tonight. I just want to chill in my crib.
- cream (noun) – a slang word for money. Rap artists make a lot of cream!
Do you want to have an extravagant lifestyle like Biggie Smalls? Have you ever wanted to swim in a big pile of Benjamins? Do you like partying with your crew in the clubs, or do you like to chill out in your crib? Please write your responses in the comments below!