Sir Mix-a-Lot is one of the most fun-loving and energetic producers. He is based in Seattle, Washington, and he formed the Nastymix Record Label with DJ Nasty Nes. He is most well known for his Grammy award-winning single “Baby Got Back”, which was released in 1992. In this song, Sir Mix-a-Lot describes his obsession with women’s butts. Its blatantly sexual lyrics caused controversy, and MTV briefly banned the music video. Despite its initial shock, “Baby Got Back” is considered tame by the majority of American people today.
I like big butts, and I cannot lie
You other brothers can’t deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty-bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Grammar: Modal Verb ‘Can’
Can is a very common modal verb, and it has many meanings and uses. Use can in order to:
- to discuss an ability
- to discuss an opportunity
- to ask for permission
- to make polite requests
- to make offers
- to discuss a possibility
Subject + can + base verb
Subject + cannot + base verb **one word, not two words
Subject + can’t + base verb
Can + subject + base verb?
- Sir Mix-a-Lot can rap very well. His musical abilities are very good. He sings very well.
- He can’t go to the concert. He has to work, and he wont’ have the opportunity to see De La Soul in concert
- Can I borrow your Tribe Called Quest CD?
- Can I borrow your car. It’s a big request, but I have an important job interview tomorrow!
- Can I get you something to drink? I am offering to buy you a drink.
- Learning English can be fun if you learn with hip-hop! It’s possible that you will have fun if you learn English with rap music.
Synonyms of Can
Synonyms are words with similar or the same meaning.
- can for opportunities and abilities = be able to
- He able to sing very well.
- I was able to get a full scholarship!
- can for persmission and requests = may, could
- May I borrow your CD?
- Could I use car for a few hours today
There are many sentences in the song that use can and can’t. Read each sentence and decide if it means an opportunity, an ability, permission, request, an offer, or a possibility. Write your answers in the comments below!
- I mean, her butt is just so big
I can’t believe it’s just so round.
- I like big butts and I cannot lie
You other brothers can’t deny.
- You notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she’s wearing
I’m hooked and I can’t stop staring
- I just can’t help myself. I’m acting like an animal.
- You can do side bends or sit ups
But please don’t lose that butt.
- To the beanpole dames in the magazines.
You ain’t it, Miss Thing!
Give me a sister. I can’t resist her!
Red beans and rice didn’t miss her.
“Baby Got Back” is commonly sung in Karaoke bars in America. Trying singing it here!