Pete Rock and CL Smooth are a hip-hop duo from Mount Vernon, New York, which is a small city outside of New York City. They released their debut album, Mecca and the Soul Brother, in 1992 and released The Main Ingredient two years later. In “T.R.O.Y.” they pay respects and honor their deceased friend, Troy ‘Double T-Roy’ Dixon. The pair had a falling out and separated in 1995, but they eventually set aside their differences and became friends again in 2010.
T to the R-O-Y. How did you and I meet?
In front of Big Lou’s, fighting in the street
But only you saw what took many time to see
I dedicate this to you for believing in me
Rain or shine, yes in any weather
Vocabulary & Idioms
- reminisce (verb) – to think, talk or write about a happy time in your life. I reminisced about the old days with my friends at the bar.
- think back (verb)
- reminiscence (noun)
- a toast (noun) – asking people to wish somebody success or happiness by raising their glasses and drinking. I would like to make a toast to my sister, who just graduated from law school.
- make a toast
- give a toast
- not give a damn (idiom) – to not care at all about somebody or something. I don’t give a damn about your girlfriend. She cannot live here anymore!
- nod off (phrasal verb) – to fall asleep. He was nodding off while driving the car last night. We almost had an accident.
- take over (phrasal verb) – to being to have control over something. I am going to take over my father’s business in a couple of years.
- Word is bond. (phrase) – very common phrase in hip-hop that means “I promise.”
- dedicate (verb) – to begin a book or performance with a message to somebody, as of way of saying thanks. Pete Rock and CL Smooth dedicated this song to a friend.
- dedication (noun)
- recall (verb) – to remember something. I don’t recall where I met her.
When were your happiest moments? In school? On your wedding day? Do you remember all of your old friends, classmates and neighbors? Where are they now? What are they doing? Are they still alive today, or have they passed away? How do you honor your friends and family who have passed away? Please write your comments below!