Even though hip-hop music has been around for over thirty years, very few great artists and rappers are known worldwide. Eminem is a rare exception, and many people across the globe recognize his face and music. His real name is Marshall Bruce Mathers III, and he is sometimes referred to as Slim Shady. In “Lose Yourself” Eminem reminds us that it is important to overcome our troubles and problems in order to achieve great things.
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot. Do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime
Grammar: Had Better
Use ‘had better’ for future recommendations, expressing hope and giving warnings.
Subject + had better + base verb
Subject + had better + not + base verb
- You‘d better bring your rain coat. It’s going to rain later today, and you don’t want to catch a cold.
- The train had better come soon! I can’t be late to my interview because I really need this job!
- You had better not talk to me like that. If you do, we will never be friends again.
If you want to make a recommendation for the present moment, use should.
Subject + should + base verb
- People should bring rain coats when it’s cloudy. In general, it is a good idea for people to have a rain coat or umbrella on cloudy days.
- Students should study three hours a day in order to do well. This is general advice for students. It isn’t advice for a specific test in the future.
If you want to make a recommendation for the past, use should have.
Subject + should have + past participle
- He should have brought an umbrella to work. He got wet and cold, and now he has a very bad cold.
- You should have seen the movie! We saw it last night, and it was incredible!
Most people, especially rappers, say better or best instead of had better.
- You better bring your rain coat.
- The train better come soon!
- You best not talk to me like that again!
What is the secret to success? In order to be happy in life, what should people do? In order to be happy and successful, what should people avoid doing? Is failure inevitable on the path to success? If your friend keeps doing poorly in school or at work, what advice will you give him or her? Please write your comments below!