In Kendrick Lamar’s “Swimming Pool” (2012), he tells a story about his alcoholism and discusses the dangers of peer pressure. He remembers his grandfather’s drinking problem and is worried that he will die from his addiction unless he changes his life. Read the lesson and leave a comment.
Pour up drank, head shoot drank
Sit down drank, stand up drank
Pass out drank, wake up drank
Faded drank, faded drank
Now I done grew up
Round some people living their lives in bottles
Granddady had the golden flask
Back stroke every day in Chicago
Some people like the way it feels
Some people wanna kill their sorrows
Some people wanna fit in with the popular
That was my problem
I was in the dark room
Loud tunes, looking to make a vow soon
That I’mma get fucked up, filling up my cup
I see the crowd move
- If you pass out, you become unconscious. Many people get sick and pass out from drinking too much alcohol. Some people pass out after exercising or working too hard.
- Most people wake up in the morning. The alarm clock buzzes, you open your eyes and you get out of bed. On the weekends, many people sleep in and do not wake up very early.
- Grow up means to change from a child to an adult. Kendrick Lamar grew up in Compton, California. He lived in Compton during his childhood. Many people grow up in one place, but some children move around and grow up in many cities.
- If you want to make new friends, you have to fit in and become accepted in the new group. Young people want to fit in and be a part of a group, but they might have to do something uncomfortable or illegal, such as drinking or using drugs.
- If you get fucked up, you are very intoxicated or drunk. You have drunk a lot of alcohol, feel dizzy and nauseated, and might pass out.
How often do you drink? Have you ever passed out from too much alcohol? What would you do to fit in with a new group of friends? Do you think young people have a lot of social and peer pressure? Please write your comments below!